A Green voice for Calderdale
Please support our crowdfunding campaign to elect Green Councillors to Calderdale Council.
We need a Green voice on Calderdale Council to bring more focus to the Covid-19 recovery and to addressing the climate emergency. While other parties to varying degrees have adopted green policies, they have no comprehensive and integrated strategy. Greens do and they bring a fresh voice to Council decisions.
Recovery from Covid-19 requires:
- heightened support for
- our children and young people whose education and leisure has been affected;
- young adults whose employment options have been most affected by the pandemic;
- those of all ages whose loneliness, mental illness or abuse has increased during the pandemic;
- carers of all ages who have been affected by the pandemic;
- long term support
- for those whose physical or mental health have been affected by the pandemic;
- to improve the health and well-being of all citizens, not least to increase their resilience to mutations in the virus.
Tackling the climate emergency requires action to:
- reduce the carbon footprint of all council activities;
- improve the energy efficiency of all buildings, private and commercial;
- reduce air pollution to below WHO recommended limits;
- mitigate flooding in the Calder Valley;
- create new, sustainable, green jobs;
- create training opportunities to enable people to take green jobs.
Green councillors will fight to ensure:
- support for all those directly or indirectly affected by the pandemic;
- that improving energy efficiency is at the heart of all decisions;
- that transport plans encourage more use of public transport and more cycle routes and reduce air pollution through electrification of transport, provision of charging points for cars, etc;
- natural flood management and appropriate upland management alongside avoiding development on flood plains;
- the protection of green spaces and the development of biodiversity within Calderdale;
- a local plan that can support the above.
Calderdale Green Party plans to achieve and sustain a Green voice on the Council step by step, building on each successful election to demonstrate the value of a Green voice on the Council to its citizens.
Andrew Cooper, Green Party Candidate for West Yorkshire Mayor, has promised action to support a green recovery from the pandemic and local action to tackle global warming.
Real Progress at Meetings
Calderdale Green Party meets monthly, usually on the first Tuesday of each month. Generally there is a public meeting one month and the next month, a business meeting for members only. All meetings are open to any member/
For more info, please see the Events and Meetings page
How to join us
To join the Green Party and be entitled to vote at national conferences, click here.
How to find out more or ask for help from Calderdale Green Party
For more info and to get involved please contact email@example.com
If you’re a Green Party Member and would like to raise any ideas, issues or complaints please in the first instance email the Chair Finn Jensen